Doctrines in Dawn of War III
Today we have some more great info and videos about the upcoming Dawn of War III release from the game’s creators at Relic, so read on to learn about Doctrines, watch some great videos and see how to get involved in the Open Beta later this month.
In Dawn of War III, we’re making sure you can build an army that plays your way. Each facet of the game lets you tailor your army, from how it looks on the field, to how it operates in battle. We’ve already touched on how features like Mastery skins and the Army Painter let you put a personal stamp on your troops. Now, we’re going to talk about how you can make to unlock new gameplay strategies: Doctrines.
How Do Doctrines Work?
After picking your faction and your Elites, choosing Doctrines creates an even deeper layer of tactics, allowing you to enhance and refine your playstyle. Before a match, you’ll be able to select from dozens of different Doctrines applying to both your Elite units, and army as a whole. Doctrines can add abilities to your units, or can have passive (sometimes conditional) effects on the battlefield. Their effects can be profound, and significantly inform how you tackle each encounter.
The first Doctrines to select are your Elite Doctrines. Each Elite unit in your army can equip one Elite Doctrine. There are two types of Elite Doctrines you can equip: Command and Presence Doctrines. Command Doctrines take effect when the Elite is equipped in your army, while Presence Doctrines only take effect when the Elite unit is deployed on the battlefield.
- Gabriel Angelos’ Slam Barrier doctrine adds a new feature to your Dreadnought’s Slam ability – a temporary barrier that absorbs shots and reflects projectiles.
- Eldar Farseer Macha’s Last Chance doctrine allows her to help out fellow Elites. When other Elites reach zero health, instead of dying they’ll temporarily enter Stasis and Heal.
- Gorgutz’s Keep Trukk’n doctrine makes it so that units ejected from Trukks gain a temporary Shield and Taunt in a circle.
After you’ve equipped your Elites, you must prepare your army! Army Doctrines empower subsets of your army with various effects, buffs, and abilities. Army Doctrines are unique to each faction, adding to the strengths that the Space Marines, Eldar, and Orks bring to the table. Players will choose and equip three Army Doctrines before each match.
- The Ork doctrine Slice ‘Em upgrades the Defkopta’s Buzzsaw Blitz ability. They’ll now attach to the first building or unit they collide with, slowing and damaging them over time.
- The Space Marine doctrine Scout Strike lets Scout units in stealth cover do bonus damage on their initial attack.
- The Eldar doctrine Webway Holo-field gives Webway Gates the ability to activate a large holo-field, granting Stealth to the Webway Gate and to units within its radius.
A World of Difference
With dozens of Doctrines to choose from for your Elite units and army, there are thousands of combinations to help you forge your path to victory. Build your army, play your way, and create your own legacy of war.
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III is just a few short weeks from release, and the time has come for players to dive into the intense combat of multiplayer with the upcoming open beta. Running from April 21-24th, players will be able to pit powerful heroes and devastating abilities against each other as they vie for battlefield supremacy. To help players get ready for the challenge, SEGA Europe Ltd. and Relic Entertainment have revealed two videos showcasing the strategy and spectacle of multiplayer.
- Dawn of War III: Assemble Your Troops gives a taste of what it’s like to form fragile alliances and bitter rivalries with fellow players as you go head to head in battle! With live audio recorded from players during one particularly suspenseful 3v3 match, Assemble Your Troops captures the chaos, strategy, and excitement of Dawn of War III multiplayer.
- Fog of War: Multiplayer Showcase is for those players who might be new to the Dawn of War franchise or the RTS genre, or want a refresher before heading out into battle. Covering the entire multiplayer experience, players will learn the strategy that goes into selecting Elite units and Doctrines to enhance your play style, accomplishing multiplayer objectives, and achieving victory. After watching this, you’ll surely be ready for WAAAAGH!
The Assemble Your Troops multiplayer trailer and Fog of War: Multiplayer Showcase are only the tip of the iceberg in showcasing the rich depth that Dawn of War III brings to players. Players can sign up to experience it for themselves in the Open Beta by registering at www.dawnofwar.com/beta.
Dawn of War III releases on April 27, 2017. To learn more about the worlds and characters in Dawn of War III, and to keep up with future updates, be sure to head to DawnOfWar.com, and follow Dawn of War on social media.
- Latest News & Features
- Warhammer 40,000